Thursday, March 31, 2011

He's Got It!!!!

Gizmo got it! If I ever questioned it before, today he has me convinced that he understands direct turns. They were so light. I think I was applying 5 or 6 ozs. to the rein before. Today, for some reason, I was so light (maybe I got it too!). He turned so willingly. I think he may have understood it before but not as clearly. Woo Hoo, we are going somewhere and it feels wonderful. On the other hand, his backup is terrible. I go through the phases and I get one step. Then repeat. I think it is a left brain "I'm not doing it" thing. I even think he's laughing at me everytime I start the procedure. Yesterday I got smart or savvy and became the leader that he needed. I added the carrot stick to his chest with a tap, Tap, TAP. He have me a couple of steps, but we never made real progress. Today it was the same. After about 40 min. of 9 step backup, I opened the gate (while on horseback of course) and positioned him to go through the gate backwards. Low and behold, that punk backed up with no stick and hardly any of anything. I immediately got off, gave him some lovin, and unsaddled him. So what do I do now? Tomorrow I'll start by going through the gate again first then trying it in the arena. I know it'll happen, but it was like watching paint dry. I am proud of myself though. I feel progress that I am in charge of. If I can't influence my husband or kids, why not the horse. Love it!!!! I'm one happy girl! Savvy On!

No comments:

Post a Comment